February 21, 2011

UK Day 2: super awesome sports cars and Indian English curry

So today was the first day of work - due to my incredible powers of narcolepsy being able to fall asleep easily, I was actually pretty refreshed today despite the 8 hour time difference. Like any large project with lots of people, there was some confusion and figuring out what to do, but we managed to be fairly productive in the afternoon, and tomorrow promises to be better. We're building at a facility that does crazy high end sports car chassis' - a completely different design philosophy than what I've seen before. I would love to do a project where they'd just tell me to design something crazy light and strong, and damn the costs.

So here's some more English Education with Jon:

clearing up a couple of stereotypes:
english food is actually pretty good - or at least at the place I'm staying at the food was exceptional.

I had this incredible chocolate danish fresh out of the oven this morning, fruit, yoghurt (YOG-hurt), and eggs on toast. Beats the pants out of any other complimentary breakfast at Holiday Inn or Best Western. Oh yea, take note hotel chain execs - they had REAL FRUIT JUICE, fresh squeezed and cold.

Indian Curry is a traditional English pub fare dish.

Warwick is pronounced 'Woorrik'

English people do say 'Blimey' or 'Crikey' - but I don't know what they mean yet.

They're also generally pretty nice so far, but they do have this general sense where they think that Great Britain is the centre of the universe , or at least the centre of human civilization, which doesn't help my Canadian inferiority complex at all.

You can order spotted dick with sticky toffee. Apparently spotted dick is REALLLLY good with cream in top....I'm going to let you work that out for yourself.

GMT's been pretty awesome so far - looking forward to day 3.


No comments: