August 20, 2008

In Rainbows...

The best summer of my life got better. I've managed to catch one of my favourite bands in concert in Vancity. Even the story of how I got my ticket is pure genius.

Since I had heard that Radiohead was coming to town I'd been gazing longingly at Craigslist, tempting myself to buying from a scalper at an 150% premium - plus with no guarantee that I was going to get the authentic item.

I was chilling with some waterloo alums for a dinner & drinks sendoff and we were discussing music. When I offhandedly mentioned that I'd die for a ticket to the concert, up pops an offer - 4 days before the event itself. Talk about luck.

For the days leading up to the concert I listened to the four albums that I have, OK Computer, Hail to the Thief, Kid A and In Rainbows non-stop. I'm definitely going to buy the other ones (Pablo Honey, The Bends, Amnesiac)- just a matter of time. I can never remember the titles of the songs I'm listening too, but they're all so quality I just don't care. I can't usually sing along with Thom Yorke anyway.


THE CONCERT ITSELF...


...was amazing...simply the best music I've ever heard live. ever. John Mayer was good - but he just doesn't have the catalogue of great songs that Radiohead does. Although they played all the tracks from their latest album, they dipped into songs as far back as the Bends.

Thom Yorke's voice carries through much better live, with that ethereal and emotional impact hitting much harder. I found myself swaying to the music sometimes sooner than my mind could register it. The sound of the concert was incredible. Often times the band is limited or diminished by the quality of the technology or techs running the show, but not in this case. From the lighting, to stage effects to guitar switching, everything was done so crisply and professionally.



My impression of Radiohead is just that - a whole cohesive band. I think Yorke is the driving force for sure, but the music is so....together, rarely do I stop to think about how one instrument is overwhelming the others. At times I was amazed at Jonny Greewood on guitar - but for the most part I could just close my eyes and soak it all in.

Not all good things happened at the concert; we had quite a few jerks push their way through the crowd - and a couple girls who though they were special. A couple bad apples ruin the batch, but for the most part people were really civil and just were happy to be there and share the experience. I have to say though - I love being in a crowd when the whole stadium is singing "Karma Police" together. That and ending with "Paranoid Android" was just incredible.

Two things you can't get away from in BC. The marijuana and the rain. Both were in extreme abundance today. You would just see the rising puff of smoke and catch it in your next breath. Oh, and it rained throughout the entire concert. It wasn't so miserable until you separated from the crowd. Then you realized how terribly cold it actually was.

I wouldn't trade this experience for any other. I can check "seeing Radiohead in concert" off my life to do it.

Really - so many sensations and experiences, memories made in one day.

In Rainbows indeed.

No comments: